Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Run For Your Life...

UPDATED: Turns out bees in the ground is more common than I thought. Some people suggested a spray and others suggested kerosene and torching them. My mom bought some spray for them and Rondell sprayed last night (of course, I was inside watching from the window). So far, we haven't seen any today. I hope they are gone. I can't imagine not being able to sit on my front porch this summer...it's my spot!

That's not exactly what I said yesterday...but close. See, I have two big fears. One I have talked about before in this post, and the other...Bees!

Yesterday my mom and I were working in my yard (it's neverending, but this is the year to get it cleaned up really well). I was raking leaves when I hear my mom say "Damn it." She was swatting at what I thought was just a random bug. A few minutes later she was complaining of a pinching feeling on her side. Eventually she said, "I don't want to tell you this, but I was digging over here and I uncovered some bees." Then I saw them, hovering over the dirt...and I ran. I grabbed the kids and ran in the house.

Turns out that my mom was swatting at a bee and it had the nerve to sting her four times! She's OK. She finished cleaning up, because she's brave like that and I hid out in the living room. I called Rondell, who was working at Best Buy, to tell him and then I asked him if he was coming home...he said "no." Nice.

So, now we have to figure out how to get rid of bees in the ground so I can go back outside again.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate bees too. Extra strength bee killer is great. I like the kind that you can stand 3 million feet away to spray them. DON'T GET STUNG!! Your Mom is so brave.

lsnellings said...

I didn't know bees could live in the ground! I would have run for my life too!

lsnellings said...

BTW, I have totally called my hubby too to see if he would come home to kill a bug, usually spiders. I am deathly afraid of spiders and we have some HUGE spiders here!

Mike and Katie said...

It's a good thing you have a brave mama!

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

bees in the ground? I didn't know they did that? Are they normal bees or some kind of mutant ground dwelling bee? Because if they are... well, you might want to duct tape your windows etc. (Just kidding)

Good luck with this one...

Kelli W said...

Yuck! I hate bees too...and spiders, frogs, snakes, bugs...anything creepy crawly that might bite or sting!

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

Ack! I'm allergic. If they're in the ground could you flood the area with the hose?

Carrie said...

oh, that is scary! Bees are not nice! Alex got stung on the finger last year playing in the leaves and is terrified of them! Hope you find a way to get rid of them so you can enjoy your yard!

Kelli said...

Yikes!!! I've actually contimplated raising bees for the honeycomb so I'm afraid I can't help you out in terms of getting rid of them. You can send them down here to FL if you want and I'll start a colony with them. =) I've actually decided to wait til the kids get a little older though so it's safer.

Call an exterminator!!!!

Emily said...

Yikes! I totally hate bees...any insect for that matter. My husband says that yellow jackets live in the ground. We had a problem with them and he bought these great traps at Home Depot and we haven't had any around since. I hope you get them under control.

Anonymous said...

I think I would have freaked out!!! I really loathe anything that stings!

I would have insisted hubby come home to rescue his family! ;-)

Unknown said...

YOu crack me up...calling your hubby to come home!!! :)))

~Becca

Joanna said...

I hate anything that stings! Especially bees....

I am glad your mom is ok and that you or the kids didn't get stung.

Hopefully they will just go away. (crossing fingers!)

I totally would have called Zack to come home too! : )

Unknown said...

I would have run in the house too!

Christie in Dallas, TX said...

I had no idea that bees could live in the ground! I have never been stung by a bee, but I'm sure it's awful -- and 4 times! WOW! Run, Kelli, Run!

Amy said...

I have a bee story for you, Kelli! A couple of months ago, as I was on my way to pick Ryan up from school, I closed the door that leads to our back yard. But something caught my eye. It looked like a dust devil swirling around outside but upon closer inspection, I realized it was a swarm of bees! Hundreds of them! I freaked out and called 911. Seriously, I did. Then the dispatcher told me to call a bee removal company. So I did and they said they'd be right out. Meanwhile I went to get Ryan and called Tripp who was at work, on my way. He told me to stop freaking out and then chastized me for calling 911. Being a firefighter, they get calls for bees often. He told me to not pay someone to come remove the bees, to just leave them alone. My response - ARE YOU INSANE?? You want me to leave hundreds of swarming bees in our backyard ALONE? He said, yes, they will go away. Trust me. So when I got home from Ryan's school, I went to check on the bees. They were gone. Apparently they were just migrating. Supposedly, it happens often in AZ. Also, I've been told that when bees are migrating they're not aggressive. I hate when my husband is right!

Angie said...

I never fails that something crazy happens when my husband is out of town. While he was away on one business trip YEARS ago...a bee hive grew in my backyard on a tree limb. It was really random?!? I couldn't even go outside, and one of the bees stung my dog...arghhh...so I am NOT a fan of bees either. I would have ran inside also!!

Kasey said...

that stinks! Be careful! are you allergic? on a funnier note...have you seen the Bee Movie? I love that movie, it cracks me up!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Good luck Kelli! We haven't had a big problem with bees, just ants. We finally had to get a pest control guy in here to get rid of them. My mom has hornets and bought those hornet traps.

XOXO
Jen