Monday, January 10, 2011

miscellany monday

Miscellany Monday @ lowercase letters

1.  Genuine Support...I know I've said this before but I love the blog world.  I have met some amazing people who I have come to truly consider friends.  Recently, I read about Edie and how she and her family lost everything in a house fire.  A few days later I saw around blogland that people were posting encouraging posts on her blog...look at it here.  How awesome is that...that people around the country (and maybe world) all came together to give her love and encouragement during a very difficult time in her life.  I think about all of the people, me included, who are lifting her up in prayer.  Bloggers...what a blessing.

2.  Chore Chart...One of my goals this year is to be better about keeping order in my home.  Not that I think things have to be spotless all of the time because that's not realistic, but I do feel that my home should be welcoming to my family and ready for company most of the time.  My friend Katie (who really does have a great blog...I'm so excited for her) talked about a chore chart and I'm going to try it.  She talked about it here and she says that it's really working for her.  Check it out and if you try it let me know how you do.

3.  New Look...Over the next few weeks I'm going to work on redesigning my blog.  Katie walked me through making a new header using Picasa (you can find the tutorial here) and it was a lot easier than I thought.  So, I need your help and all of the tips that you have up your sleeves.  I have the information on the header and now I'm trying to figure out how to design the actual page.  I'd like the main page to be white with a yellow (of course) background...but that's that part I don't know how to do.  Tips?

4.  Special Delivery x2...Two great things came in the mail last week...both equally exciting.

First:


 My 2011 planner arrived!  I can't even tell you how giddy this makes me.  This is what keeps me in order, where I can keep all of things that I need to remember.  I talked about it before here and my blog friend Genn talked about hers here.


Much of the planner is the same as it was last year but one addition that I like is this little folder.  Now when I have receipts that I need to hang onto or my stamps I have a great place for them.  If you haven't checked out this planner you must...it's not too late.  Just go to Erin Condren's site.

Second:


My new Bible arrived.  I decided to use the ESV to read through the entire Bible this year because I truly love this translation.  I love that it's a word-for-word translation and challenges me to read deeper into His Word.  Since it is a challenge I decided that it might be wise to use a Study Bible and I came across this one in my search.


It has a ton of charts, maps and detailed descriptions.  That helps me since I'm very visual.

 
Almost every verse is accompanied by study notes.


I am that person who loves to write in my Bible and I can't wait to fill up these pages with thoughts and points that I come across.  I do however need to make sure that I'm spending my best time while reading His Word, giving Him my best time.  Not reading while the TV is on and the kids are running around but at a time when I can give Him my full attention because I don't want to miss anything He has to say to me.

11 comments:

My Not So Simple, Domestic Life said...

Yay! You are going to join the chore chart fan club!! And how fun is it going to be to redesign your blog!? Although you do have a lot of cool elements to your blog that I hope you don't lose. And Josh is all into this whole ESV thing. I know he's going to be checking it out this week.
~Katie

Rach said...

The blogging world is an amazing, amazing place. When I first started my blog, it was for family and close friends to keep up with the girls. I think I had 35 hits a day--max.

When we lost Hannah, Blogger decided my blog must be a spam blog I was receiving so many hits and they BLOCKED me from my own blog, lol! The love and encouragement and prayers I have received from the bloggy world over the course of the past three years is truly amazing. I KNOW it was everyone's prayers being lifted for us that helped us through those hard times, and over those humps and bumps that still come along.

I too have met so many WONDERFUL folks through blogging, many of them friends, it's amazing. :o)

As for the rest of your post, don't you just LOVE getting new things in the mail? :o) That Bible is fantastic! :o)

I have no ideas about blog design, I'm so sorry. :o( Maybe YOU could help me? ;o)

Kelli W said...

I can't wait to see your new blog look! I need to work on a new header for mine...I think the pics are from last spring! Your new Bible sounds awesome! I love my NIV but sometimes I wish it had more commentary.

Carrie said...

I love how my blog has introduced me to so many friends too and so many fun creative ideas! I can always use help with organizing too...especially assigning chores, great idea!

And sounds like a wonderful Bible to help you study. I'm sure alot of things will be better understood! Enjoy studying!

Sugarplum Creations Blog said...

So cool! I love to write in my Bible too, but I need to write more notes, and not just underline, bracket, and circle. Sometimes I forget what exactly it meant to me at the time I marked it.

I need a better way to be more organized too. That planner would make me giddy as well ;)

I haven't made a detailed "chore chart", but for now the girls are getting stickers in generic boxes for helping out. It makes it easier for me to just say "Hey Sis, thanks so much for jumping in and giving me a hand without being asked". There are 21 boxes per sheet, and once they fill them up, they will earn a special treat. *Someone* in my house is not real . . . motivated to help out, and I'm hoping this helps her along ;)

Michele said...

I saw your comment over at Genn's blog and stopped by to say hi. I think the ESV is a wonderful translation of the Bible and very easy to read and understand. My husband used it when he read through the Bible in a year. I use the NASB, but we have a lot of different translations around the house to help when studying and reading. Enjoy that new planner and your new Bible. Happy Monday!

Stacey said...

Kelli, I can design you a yellow background to use if you like, I'm a freelance designer and did all the work on my own blog. All the graphics there were created by me. I also use a program called "Artisteer" to create blog themes...let me know if I can help, just email me!

Stacey

Ann said...

I have a MacArthur Study Bible too. It has really detailed and informative notes that I love. that planner is too cute. i love the vibrant colors!

Anonymous said...

keep up the good work! That chore chart is a great idea!

carissa said...

You and I just love our ESV's don't we?!!! It's the best! We have the ESV study Bible and love it!

Can't wait to see your new blog design! Shabbyblogs.com has great tutorials.

Edie is remarkable. I love how people ate supporting her!

Unknown said...

I love my erin condren planner - goes with me EVERYWHERE I go!!!!

~Becca