Thursday, January 20, 2011

Cleaning Out My Closet

Sorry for the boring title.  Over the weekend I tackled our front closet.  I have to do this at least twice a year because it always gets out of control.  It's wasn't as bad as it has been in the past...the top shelf was still pretty clean, but the shoes were out of control and I knew that there were some jackets that the kids had outgrown.

 Excuse the blurry picture...but here's what the floor looked like before.  Shoes galore...flip flops, shoes that are too small, and a few mittens here and there.

 Here's the top of the closet...not too bad.  There's is an old jacket of Caleb's that had to come down and go into the donation pile.

I pulled out all shoes that were too small and put them in this box to be donated...much better.

Here's a glimpse all cleaned out, but before I vacuumed.  In the spring I think I'll pull everything out again and paint the inside to get rid of all of the scuffs.

Nicely vacuumed!

Shoes back in and in a more organized fashion.

Here's something that has been really helpful...my gloves, scarf, hat basket.  It's a nice way to keep all of the pieces together.  I decided to put it on the floor of the closet so that the kids can put their stuff away.  It really works for our family.

15 comments:

My Not So Simple, Domestic Life said...

I soooo need to do this Kelli! But I don't have a hall closet. I need to clean out all of our closets upstairs...ugh.

Rach said...

First off, I have those same games and I LOVE them! :o)

Second, nicely done! I too have to go through my coat closet and declutter once more.

Third, I use a three drawered plastic filing bin to sort our gloves, hats and scarves. It's SO helpful!

He & Me + 3 said...

Nice job. I totally need to do that too. Mine is a mess.

LeAnna said...

I just cleaned out our hall closet a few months ago. It was a disgrace...haha! Seeing your scrabble game makes me want to play!

Kelli W said...

We keep our shoes under a bench in the hallway, and it is in desperate need of organizing. I think there are shoes in Grant's cubbie that Eli could wear now:)

Angie said...

There is just something about a clean closet that makes me feel all giddy! I think should go clean one of mine out....I'm a little jealous!!

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

Nice! Our house doesn't have a coat closet. (How lame is that?!) If it did, I would hope it was as neat as that.
:)

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Oh a nice clean closet - so pretty!

lsnellings said...

Can you come do my hall closet too? ;)

Kim3278 said...

The one thing that helps me? I clean out all our closets seasonally. So roughly 4 times a year. It really helps with the piles of donations, things outgrown and new things that have made their way in. I love clean and orderly things. I have a "winter" basket too but found out today that I need to go through that too:( Oops:)

Joanna said...

Our hall closet is always the catch all for extra things around the house. I desperately need to get in there and clean it out!

Ruby Red Slippers said...

Great job!!!
I love to clean out and organize-I feel so much better-
:)

Emily said...

I love to clean out closets! We have a basket for mittens/hats/etc too. However, I put each kid's stuff in a ziploc bag and throw it in the basket, that way all their things are together and they don't putt out everything looking for that one mitten.

Heidi Boos said...

Woo hoo for organizing! :)

Amy said...

I guess you have to have your gloves and scarves easily and readily accessible! Ours are stored in a plastic bin in a closet we never use! Don't often need those items here in PHX! 72 degrees here today :-)