Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Tackle it Tuesday - School Bin

I am so excited about this week's tackle. OK, so I'm excited about all the tackles that I do, but this one includes organization...one of my favorite things.

I don't know about you, but I'm always losing papers that come home from school (like the picture day form...ugh, I'm still upset about that) and it can be very frustrating. It's also kind of annoying when Jamison and I are in the middle of a project or homework and we have to stop because we don't have all of the supplies.

Well, problem solved. Introducing my new School Bin! Now, there's a filing system and everything (I think) is all in one place.

First, I got a this clear bin from Target. I really wanted to use a cute basket but I just couldn't find what I was looking for.

I bought some file folders at Office Max (they are so cute!) and I made some labels with my handy dandy new label maker. Now I have a file for things that need to be returned to school, like permission slips, forms, etc; a file for Jamison's writing pages; a file for the art work that Jamison is working on (she's always creating something); and a file of papers that I get from her school that have tips about encouraging your child to read, do math, etc., so that I can refer to them as she's working.

I gathered some workbooks that Jamison has been working on.

Then I got these cup holders from Office Max. In one of them I put crayons, pencils and a pen for all things writing (or coloring). In the other cup I put her scissors, glue sticks, stickers and erasers for all thing creating.

Here's the finished bin. I put a notepad that I use to write notes in there as well. I'll keep you posted on whether or not this system works, but from what I can tell so far it is going to be great!

For more tackles check out 5 Minutes for Mom

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, this post is so timely. I have a stack of papers from school that I need to figure out how to organize, and you have given me some great ideas! What label maker do you use?

Joanna said...

Just love it! So organized. I love seeing things all neat and organized. You wanna come down and help me organize?! *smiles*

Kelli W said...

SUPER cute idea! And such a great way to get organized for school! I can tell you are loving the new label maker!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

What a great idea Kelli! I love it. I have a cupboard in my kitchen that is overflowing with all sorts of school stuff. Maybe I can be inspired today to clean it out and organize it all into something like that.

XOXO
Jen

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

Great Job!

Stay Cozy, Carrie

jennykate77 said...

OMG! I'm in love with the School Bin!!! We need one of those! I love having a place for everything and that would solve a problem for us too! Plus, it could give me a place to put Isaiah's papers he bring home until I can store them properly! Love it!!♥

annies home said...

this is a great tackle it tuesday assignment for both you and the artist of the house

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

This is a great idea. We are always losing papers (and my daughter is only in pre-school!). I am scared to see how things get more complicated as she gets older!
Carrie

Ruby Red Slippers said...

That is inspiring!!!
I love organization-and the school papers have me stumped-every year!

Jenn said...

What a great idea! I know I still have notes from school from last year kicking around lol! Maybe this will inspire me to get a start on the pile that has already compiled from this year.

Carrie said...

Looks great! I love how you have all the supplies with it too...we are always looking for that stuff too! I think you will make it work fabulously! Wonderful idea!

Xazmin said...

Great idea...I have been thinking about doing something like this myself...I'll have to steal this!

Oh, and even though you didn't find a cute basket...you can always Mod Podge your tote!!!

Ally said...

Great idea. Myles is in KG this year, and I've been thinking I need to find a good way to organize his stuff too. I think I'll have to do something like this.
So far I've just tried to throw stuff out that I know I don't need again, but haven't started a basket for his projects or for those papers I need to refer to laer. Thanks!