Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Jam Thumb Prints - My Favorite

UPDATE: I saw this cookie party hosted by Jessica Turner on Angie's blog and I thought I'd post my thumbprints.

Last night my mom, Jamison and I (mostly my mom and Jamison) made jam thumb prints. My mom and I have been making these cookies at Christmastime since I was a little girl. They are my all-time favorite cookie.

Jam Thumb Prints
2/3 cup butter (which is about 11 tbs)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
2 egg yolks
1 1/2 cup sifted flour (or not sifted, if you're like me)
1 cup finely chopped walnuts (or not, if you're like me)
2 slightly beaten egg whites (if you're using the nuts)
Jam (grape, strawberry, or my favorite...red raspberry)

Cream together butter & sugar till fluffy.
Add egg yolk, vanilla and salt. Beat well.
Gradually add flour.
Shape into 3/4" balls.
{Here's the added step if you would like to add nuts...dip dough into egg white. Then dip dough into chopped walnuts until completely coated}
Place on greased cookie sheet.
Thumb.
Add jam into thumbprint (I used a 1/4 tsp measuring spoon to add the jam. You don't want to add too much or it will boil over.)

Bake at 350 for 13-15 minutes or till golden.

Here are some pictures for a visual...because I'm very visual:

The dough rolled. That's my mama's hand.
Thumbed.

Jam added and ready for the oven. Not sure what kind of angle I was going for here.

Um, there is no after picture because for some reason ours didn't turn out like they usually do and we couldn't figure out why. I'm sure yours will turn out better (as well as my next batch!)

17 comments:

Joanna said...

Yummy! Don't you hate when that happens? I bet they were still just as good!

Kelli W said...

YUM! I am so trying these sometime next week! I think I might actually add the nuts too...my hubby is a huge fan of pecans! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

jennykate77 said...

Well, I'm sure they were still delicious!!! I'll have to write the recipe down.

Unknown said...

thanks for sharing the recipe :)

Emily said...

Yummy! I'm going to have to try those...and I think I already have all the ingred. What do you do for eggs if you don't use nuts?

Anonymous said...

Those look yummy! I'll have to try them this year.

Angie said...

Yum Yum! Thanks for sharing...I love that you have made these forever...so cool!

Sugarplum Creations Blog said...

These are one of my favorites too! Such a fun tradition

KTW said...

Haven't made those in years! Love 'em! : )

lsnellings said...

I love those cookies! We call them Granny Bonn cookies in my family because they were Granny Bonn's specialty!

nest of posies said...

kelli with an i!!!

you are just the sweetest thing! i love how you included in your caption, that that was your mama's hand. so sweet. and yes, i too have great memories of thumb print cookies. i'll have to try rasberry. my fave so far is with apricot jam. i am totally having a teenage christmas memory, right now, thanks to you! love it. thanks.

Natalie of TheBusyBudgetingMama.com said...

these look delicious!!

Allison said...

I have had these before and they are SO good! I have never come across the recipe, so now I'm so excited to make them! Thanks for sharing!

Shannon said...

A Christmas staple! :)

Katie said...

I love your pictures, "thumbed" indeed:)

Bobbi & Noe said...

I hate when that happens! There's a few of my recipes that don't have pics, because they didn't turn out. Then the next time I make it, I totally forget to take a picture. Yours look delish though.

Kelli W said...

Thanks so much for linking up your SUPER yummy cookies Kelli:)