Sunday, July 20, 2008

Kids Say the Sweetest Things

I'm currently re-reading a book called the Five Love Languages of Children (great read!). In the introduction it talks about asking your child if he or she knows you love and them and why. The book says that usually how they answer the questions should give you an indication as to what his or her love language is (ie. if they they say because you tell me I'm pretty, then her love language most likely is words of affirmation).

I wasn't sure if Jamison was going to get the whole concept but I've come to realize that I need to stop underestimating her. So, here's how our conversation went:

Me: Jamison, do you know Mommy loves you?
J: Yes.
Me: How?
J: Because you give me lots of hugs and kisses.
Me: Anything else?
J: And you do lots of things.
Me: Like?
J: Color with me.

I thought I would cry for two reasons. 1. She really knows that I love her! and 2. because she could express that to me through words. She is really coming into herself.

So, when Rondell came home I told him about it and here's their conversation:

Ron: Jamison, do you know Daddy loves you?
J: Yes.
Ron: How?
J: Because you play with me.

I LOVED that it was a different answer that really pertained to Rondell. He plays with her all the time. It also showed us the things that are important to Jamison and we will be sure to continue to color with her/give her hugs and kisses and play with her so that we can "speak" to her in a language that she understands!




1 comment:

Mike and Katie said...

Hi Kelli,

When I asked my boys what made them feel loved, they said, "When you let us watch TV."

Sigh.

A friend was telling me about this book and she explained about how gift-loving child keeps everything and has trouble keeping house because everything is special and needs to be displayed. That's my Tony!

Katie