Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Day 1...39 To Go!

Today is the first day of Lent.  Here is a little blurb that my church has posted in its bulletin and on its website:

Lent consists of the 40 days (not counting Sundays) prior to Easter when Christians
examine their personal spiritual condition. Many choose to fast and repent during this
time.

New Lifers are asked to determine what you would fast during this period of time.
Consider giving up something that is important to you or takes time from your schedule in
order to focus more fully on your relationship with Jesus – a meal, certain foods,
technology, several days without food, TV, movies, music, whatever it may be.

Lent begins this coming Wednesday, March 9 – called Ash Wednesday – a day of
repentance and self-examination.

This Lent season I am giving up Coca Cola (gasp!).  The reason I chose Coke is because I find great satisfaction in it...after a long day, I want a can of Coke...if I'm celebrating, I want a can of Coke.  I find myself thinking of Coke as my reward or my relief if I'm having a rough moment.

But that what Jesus is...my satisfaction, my reward and my relief and instead of Coca Cola I need to look to Him first for those things.  That is my prayer and focus during this Lent season...to seek Him first for moments of praise and when I need to be refueled.

Another thing I'm going to examine during this time and limit is blogging.  This definitely takes away time that I need to be spending with Him and in His Word.  I will continue to blog daily, that won't change...what will change is the amount of time I spend reading other blogs.  I tend to just sit and get lost in blog land...going to other blogs that aren't on my list of followed blogs and I need to stop doing that.  I need to stick with the blogs that are on my list and only those...so no clicking on any new blogs.

Pray for me :)  What about you...are you fasting during this Lent season?

** Added...here is another great post about Lent....and another.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

What an awesome way to look at your time away form Coke- you don't need it b/c you have HIM!!!!

~Becca

Unknown said...

And can I also say that your walk in Christ is inspiring - I love reading about it!

~Becca

Kelli W said...

We don't really celebrate Lent but I think it is a great concept and a really great way to get closer to God! I think both of your commitments are awesome and I know you can do it!

jennykate77 said...

I'm not fasting during Lent, but if I were, I would fast Coffee...for obvious reasons.

Good for you though! I'll be praying for you during this time!

Joanna said...

What a wonderful way to look at Lent. I never really thought about it too much because when I have been in church they never focused on Lent like that. Good luck at giving up Coke! I know that you can do it because you have HIM!!

Shell in your Pocket said...

That would be hard for me but mine is Diet Mt. Dew!
sandy toe

Rachel {polkadots and puppies} said...

Such an inspiring post, Kelli! I'll definitely be praying for you, and I kindly ask you to do the same for me as I'm giving up *all* sweets. God help me. Good luck!

Angie said...

I'll be thinking of you...giving up Cola, something you love so much...you are brave!

My Not So Simple, Domestic Life said...

Holy Smokes! Way to go Kelli!! I know how hard this is going to be for you, but you are right! He is your satisfaction. And bravo for not thinking about giving up Coke and then choosing something less painful. (that would have been my M.O.)

Kelly said...

What an awesome perspective!! I'm better off after reading it :) I sound like I'm two...but...I gave up gummi bears - I have a horrible addiction to them! I pray that this Lenten season is a period of growth for you!

Kim3278 said...

Kel:
I gave up sweets and sugar...so I had to go through the entire service looking at the girl scout cookies. So funny I gave up sweets. I haven't practiced Lent for about 15 years. This time it is not only paying off for me but is keeping my blood sugar in check for the little one that I am carrying. God is so good for blessing me with this baby so I keep looking at it that I am thanking and praising him by giving up the one thing that I know could throw us both in the hospital if not careful:)