Sunday, May 25, 2008

Destin, Florida

Rondell, my mom, the kids and I had a wonderful time in Destin, Florida. We left on a Friday morning around 7 or so. We weren't sure how the kids were going to be so we planned an overnight stop in Birmingham, AL. The weather was cloudy leaving Ohio but as we got more south it started to clear up. Once we were getting close to Birmingham we started talking about driving all the way to Florida without stopping because we were making good time and the kids were doing excellent. I called our condo place to see how much it would be to come Friday night and it was the same price as the hotel so we kept on to Florida. We got in late but it was well worth it because we were able to wake up on Saturday and enjoy the entire day.

Our condo was beautiful. If ever you're looking to stay in the Destin area use this place. Ocean Reef Resorts was very helpful. We stayed at the Amalfi Coast, which was by the beach, just across a two-lane road. Here's are some pictures from our balcony:

Saturday we went to the pool for a bit and went grocery shopping. Sunday was Mother's Day and Rondell got us bagels. We spent most of the day at the pool and them Mommy made a great seafood dinner, including lobster tails...YUM! After dinner we went to the beach, where the kids got their first taste of sand. Jamison ran from the waves...too funny. We tried to fly our kite but it was a little too windy.
Monday was the most beautiful day there. We woke up and went to the beach. The water was absolutely beautiful and the sand was so clean. Jamison got to build her sand castles and go into the water with Ron. She loved it! Then lunch and more pool time. That night we went to dinner at Pompano Joe's. Good food. We actually met a couple there from Powell. know you go through the "are you on vacation; we're on vacation, where are you from...Oh we're from Ohio too..what part...Oh we're from Columbus...what part...Oh my WE live in Powell. Small world. They actually live off of the same street that we live off of. Crazy.
Tuesday was MY big day. I swam with the dolphin!!!! I was actually scared when I first entered the water but after interacting I felt better. In my group there were five other people. We had one dolphin, Brennan. She was HUGE! We got to rub her and do command with her. That was really cool. We got to take pictures with her, with her kissing us and one with her holding our hands. Each person got an interactive alone time with her in the water. I got to show her a command to do her alligator impression and then to lay on her back and flap her fin. At the time of all of this another dolphin, Mia, that was in the water decided to come over and see what we were doing so she swam right by my head and all around me. I was so scared, even though I knew she would do anything it took me off guard. She was just being nosy. Then came the big event...the dolphin ride. I grabbed onto her dorsal fin and off I went. Fun times!

Wednesday we went to the pool again. Then Thursday came the rain. It rained all day. We decided on Thursday that we would leave on Friday instead of Saturday because it was supposed to rain all day Friday too. But by that time we were ready to come home so we were OK with that.

Overall it was a great trip and we're already talking about when we'll do it again!
Oh, and on our way home we stopped somewhere in AL to get gas and lunch. I look up as we're pulling out of the Wendy's and we are on KELLI DR. Kelli...with an I. I had to take a picture.

No comments: